Side Dish Makeovers
Side dishes can be loaded with fat and calories, but you can still invite your favorite family traditions to the holiday dinner table—just update them with better-for-you options!
- Lighten up mashed potatoes with nonfat yogurt instead of butter and season with fresh chives or roasted garlic. Baked sweet potatoes need just a sprinkle of cinnamon and orange zest to bring out their natural sweetness
- Roasting caramelizes the natural sugars in fruits and veggies, so try roasted green beans with fresh garlic and dried marjoram, topped with toasted nuts. Or, roast carrots, parsnips and beets for a festive celebration of flavor
Save with this week's Eating Healthy on a Budget recipe, featuring items from our current circular.
Garlic Herb Crusted Beef Roast
While meat is roasting, prepare vegetables and place them in the oven during the last 30 to 45 minutes so that all of the dinner is finished at the same time.
|Makes twelve 3 oz. servings • Prep time: 5 minutes • Cook time: 2 hours
- 3 to 4 lb. boneless beef top round or bottom round roast
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 tsp. garlic pepper seasoning
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
Heat oven to 325°F. Combine rub ingredients; press onto beef roast. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef. Do not add water or cover. Roast in oven 1½ to 2 hours for medium rare doneness. (Do not overcook.) Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare. Let stand 15 minutes. (Temperature will rise to 145°F for medium rare.) Carve roast; season with salt if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 260 calories, 14g fat, 6g saturated fat, 90mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 33g protein
BONUS BUY™ Savings week of December 8th to December 14th for this recipe:
- GIANT Fresh Boneless Bottom Round Roast